ONCE A TIGER ALWAYS A TIGER!!
GUTHRIE CENTER HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICAL EDUCATION
THE PHYSICAL BENEFITS
- IMPROVES PHYSICAL FITNESS. A good physical education program improves muscular strength, flexibility, body composition (fat-to-muscle ratio), and cardiovascular endurance.
- REDUCES THE RISK OF HEART DISEASE. Physical Education can counteract the four major risk factors of coronary heart disease: obesity, inactivity, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol levels.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY LIFESTYLES. Physical Education develops motor skills and sport skills to promote heath and fitness throughout life.
THE MENTAL BENEFITS
- IMPROVES ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE. Studies have show that, when I.Q.’s are the same, children who have daily physical education classes tend to get higher grades.
- INCREASES INTERESTS IN LEARNING. Regular physical activity makes children more alert and receptive in learning new things.
- IMPROVES JUDGEMENT. Physical education helps children to develop the capacity to solve problems. They learn to accept responsibility for their classmates’ safety, assume leadership in team decisions, and develop a sense of fair play.
- PROMOTES SELF-DISCIPLINE. A good program teaches children that they are responsible for their own health and fitness. They learn to take control of their lives.
- ENCOURAGES GOAL SETTING. Physical education gives children the time and encouragement they need to set and strive for personal, achievable goals.
THE PSYCHOLOGICAL AND SOCIAL BENEFITS
- IMPROVES SELF-CONFIDENCE AND SELF-ESTEEM. Physical education installs a stronger sense of self-worth in children. They become more confident, assertive, emotionally stable, independent, and self-controlled.
- PROVIDES AN OUTLET FOR STRESS. Physical activity is an outlet for releasing tension and anxiety, instead of acting out poor behavior.
- STRENGTHENS PEER RELATIONS. Physical education can be a major force in helping children socialize with others more successfully. Being able to participate in dances, games, and sports is an important part of fitting in.
- REDUCES THE RISK OF DEPRESSION. A good program makes children generally more optimistic about their lives.
- PROMOTES HEALTHIER LIFESTYLES. Physical education helps children make a habit of an active lifestyle. They learn a lifelong concern for their personal health.
Mr. Danker's Links
This page was last updated at 11/24/2014 3:19PM